Dash and windshield lip restoration

I had taken Gus’s windshield out because it had a big crack in it, and I knew there was rust under the lower edge. It’s a common place for buses to rust out. I was hoping mine wouldn’t be too bad, as I knew the front nose clip was a replacement at some point. And it wasn’t too bad – just a couple of pinholes from the rust. I tried to fill them with weld, but the welder started to blast the holes bigger. So I used JB Weld, which is magic in a tube. Once it dried I sanded it flat (those are the light grey areas in the above photo).

I had heard several discussions about what to seal the windshield lip with, but I went with POR-15. The main reason I used POR-15 is I already had an unopened quart left over from my 64.5 Mustang non-restoration, plus the Marine Clean and Prep & Ready that you use before applying the POR-15. POR-15 basically seals in whatever rust is present, and doesn’t allow the metal to continue to rust. It dries rock hard. The directions say to open the can and reseal it with a piece of plastic so you can get the can open again. I tried that in the past and it didn’t really work. The best method I’ve found is to drill two small holes in the top of the can (one for pouring, and one for a vent making it easier to pour) that you can reseal by screwing in sheet metal screws. Then you can use a screwdriver to take them off the next time. It works great!

This is after the POR-15, which I applied with an old paintbrush.

I will apply a topcoat of primer and paint once I’m done with the front nose bodywork, and then reinstall the windshield.

Next I decided to repaint the dash, as it had some areas of rust from the leaking windshield.

So I sanded it down with some 150 and then 400 grit sandpaper…

Notice I didn’t remove the plastic vent things – mainly because I didn’t want to break them taking them out. They seemed fairly brittle as I started to attempt their removal.

Primed with Rustoleum rusty metal primer.

These are the metal defroster vent covers and screws. I screwed the screws into a piece of wood to paint them.

And now it’s time for paint!

I used a semi-gloss black lacquer that I also had leftover from the Mustang days. 

I’m pretty happy how it turned out. It is by no means perfect, but neither is Gus. :)

I want to let those reading know that I by no means think this project (as with all of the projects I document) is the “right” way or the only way to do this. It’s just the way I did it. :)

PingBlogger PostWordPressStumbleUponTwitterShare
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>